It's that time again, folks. Yes, Tuesday. Time for another installment of The Needle Ten.
Anyway, this week's answers are supplied by Derek of Nervous Onion fame. You can visit his main site at http://nervousonion.com or just go directly to his shop.
1. Black and white or color?
as much as i adore color, i have to say black and white. as a graphic designer, i've found that black and white are the most basic elements to work with, and if you can make your ideas work in their simplest form, then you know they are good. but if i'm working with fabric give me as much color as you can jam down my throat - whether it's a pair of women's kneesocks, a fleece remnant, or some salvaged upholstery fabric, i love me some color.
2. Analog or digital?
analog! i grew up pre-CD, pre-ipod, pre computer. the first music i ever bought and owned were on LP and cassette. i still listen to them. plus, LPs always had bigger, better artwork. don't get me wrong. i can't live without my ipod. the same goes for crafts and fine art. there's much to be said for things drawn, painted, carved, and sewn. i'm a sucker for "the process" - it's just as important as the finished product.
3. What is your favorite material to work with?
socks! there's so many great patterns. and i find it challenging to make things from socks that don't look like typical things made from socks.
4. ESSAY QUESTION: Two trains are heading in opposite directions at different speeds. If all things are equal, where are those trains going? And, most importantly, are there owls on board?
Owls?!?! The heck you say!
5. Who is your favorite: Author, artist, musician?
my favorite author of all time is definitely kurt vonnegut, although i am also a big fan of lemony snicket. "breakfast of champions" is my favorite book of all time. musically, it would be hard to pick a favorite but lately i've been listening to lots of alkaline trio, mogwai, and do make say think. my favorite artists are chihuly and rauschenberg.
6. If you received a sudden windfall of money, what would you do with it?
i'd probably build the world's coolest wheelchair accessible house ever, and buy an old 1950's apache panel van
7. Winter or summer?
8. What is your favorite: word, color, mental disorder?
i don't think i can give my favorite word here without sullying the good name of the needle. my favorite color is green. my favorite disorder is people that have to do things in threes. why threes? why not sevens? or twenty fives?
9. If you could change your name, what would you change it to?
i want my driver's license to say "nervousonion"
10. How do you, personally, define "plush art" ?
i think to define it would be to limit it.